Wednesday, March 29, 2006

For once in your life, write!

This is a true story about my cousin's life.

My cousin and I grew as above average kids. We were excellent students all through our school life. Too bad, he came from a broken home family and grew in poverty.

Yet he managed to become the first state university student among us. He worked hard to fund his study. He tried all kinds of job from mentoring children to singing in a band every night. He's been in the darkest side of a student's life, however, he graduated with flying color.

He was active in politics fighting for poverty. Then he got married. To feed his family, he chose the job that was unwanted for many. Many become part time salespeople because they don't have any choice. He tried many sales positions and have climbed all the way up.

He was very active all his life. Too active as a matter of fact that he didn't give his heart (lever) a rest. Now, his heart puts him in his dying bed waiting for his time. His death wish is to write two books which he cannot do in his current state. The first one is about the expertise he gained within 10 years working in the unwanted-for-many kind of job. He wanted to show the world that if you love your job, it will love you back. It may not give you luxury but it gives you the pearl of knowledge. He doesn't have time to harvest the pearl by writing it.

The second book is his autobiography which he titled "Tiga Bengkoang". The three fruits represent the phases in his life. How his heart puts him in his dying bed and how he fought it. He may lose the fight, but he learns a lot that he earns another gem of life.

His pearl is his to keep. I cannot harvest it by writing it for him. Nor can I understand the three phases of his life. I am writing his short biography with simple message which I learn from him. Read, read from your life then write, for once in your lifetime. Whatever it is that you have been through it is worth written.

March 06, 2006

3 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - not because I write, but because I live. I'm 26 years old, and for many, I'm still way too 'green' to harvest anything out of life. But, I realized that that isn't true. We can harvest life's greatest lessons from the moment we crawl out of our mother's womb, to the moment we lay on our deathbed -- we always learn something new.

I'm not a genius, and I don't live in a big house with a picket fence surrounding it. Early on in life, I saw that I would never become a genius; nor would I ever live in a big house. Nor have ever I aspired to be or do all those things. All I wanted was to be myself. And no one could convince me otherwise.

What does that tell you? Not much.

But here's the thing. Being the one fish who swims against the streams has its own merits and downfalls.

People always think I'm on the brink of losing my mind because I play only one game: my own. People always tell me to be whatever it is they want me to be because they believe it is what is best for me. People grow up and too soon let their dreams go by because reality forces them to do so. Nowadays, people don't dream, anymore. And those who do dream become the outcast.

But, you know what? We don't have to be. We can be proud for going that extra mile to realize our dreams. For swimming against the current just because we can. For putting all of our eggs in the basket for things that we whole-heartedly believe are right and true. For being ourselves, and not taking the path everyone else travels through.

All changes begin with us. We can make our lives for the better or the worse. Take control and live it as best as you possibly can. Because we only live once. It's too short to be wasted on things we don't want to do or be to begin with. It's too short to not take the chance to do the things you've always wanted to do. More importantly, it's too short for fear.

Mr. Jaha's cousin is a fighter. He was born a fighter and he lives as one. His life is spent for all the things he believes in; and he wears his heart on his sleeve. He chooses the road less traveled by, and because of it he triumphs above everything else. Even illness.

If we could live a life half as rich as his, we should consider ourselves lucky. And that alone is worth writing about.

So, read. Read 'til your heart swells with life; and then write it out to your heart's content. Quoting Mr. Jaha, "For once in your life, write!"

And then you'll see what everyone else seems to be missing out on.

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My cousin and I grew as above average kids. We were excellent students all through our school life."

Menurut teman sekolah anda, anda dulu biasa2 saja dan tidak menonjol sama sekali. siapa yang benar?

 
At 3:13 AM, Blogger jaha said...

to anonymous; berarti anda ketemu teman yang average-nya di atas saya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home